- Newly published article on reflection: "From Selfies to Self-Representation in Electronically Mediated Reflection," in Kathleen Blake Yancey, ed. A Rhetoric of Reflection, an edited collection for University Press of Colorado (July 2016).
- I curated the "Assessment" entry for the MLA Digital Pedagogy in the Humanities: Concepts, Models, and Experiments edited by Rebecca Frost Davis, Matthew K. Gold, Katherine D. Harris, and Jentery Sayers. This exciting project "redresses the lack of effective case studies in digital pedagogy by creating an open-access, born-digital publication that aggregates digital experiments by practitioners and presents pedagogical projects in their original forms." For right now, you can see the draft version on GitHub.
- Draft version available here: https://github.com/curateteaching/digitalpedagogy/blob/master/keywords/assessment.md
Writing for Kids:
For kidlit published under the pen name Liz Summit, please see lizsummit.com
Current Professional Academic Service:
- Coordinator for Accelerated Learning Basic Writing Course (ENA 101) at LaGuardia Community College: administering ENA 101 course, providing faculty professional development, creating curriculum materials (2014-present).
- Teaching English in a Two Year College: reviewer (2014-present).
- International Journal of ePortfolio: reviewer (2011-present).
- Institute Faculty, "Engaging Departments Institute," American Association of Colleges and Universities (2009-present).
- Basic Writing eJournal, editorial board (2009-present).
- Conference on Basic Writing (CBW) Board Member and past co-chair, (2008-present).
- ePortfolio Professional Development and Leadership at LaGuardia. I have served as a member of the Research Team, as one of the pilot faculty members, as Interim ePortfolio Director, and as part of the Assessment Leadership Team. I work with LaGuardia's Center for Teaching and Learning during the academic year as a faculty leader for various professional development seminars using ePortfolio such as the Capstone Seminar. Currently, I am co-leading the ePortfolio Leadership Team (2002-present).
Selected Past Professional Service includes: The Capstone and Integrative Learning Faculty Development Seminar Leader at LaGuardia Community College (2016-2017); Digital By Design Faculty Development Seminar Leader at LaGuardia Community College (2015-2017); Taking College Teaching Seriously Faculty Coach: serving as a mentor for faculty in the Kresge-funded TCTS project facilitating weekly on-line conversations and feedback for pedagogy circles (2015); General Education Maps and Markers Project, Digital Working Group, American Association of Colleges and Universities (2014-2015); CCC Editorial Board Member (2010-2013); College Composition and Communication Conference Stage I Reviewer (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015), Assessment Leadership Team at LaGuardia Community College, and primary writer for LaGuardia's Middle States Assessment chapter (Standard 14 text and Standard 14 appendix materials, 2011-2012); Global Skills for College Completion, a two year research project with 26 faculty from across the United States examining their practice as basic skills faculty, seeking to create a model for a more effective basic skills pedagogy (2010-2012); Modern Language Association (MLA) Member on the Committee on the Status of Women in the Profession (2005-2008, member; 2006-2008, committee co-chair); Carnegie Foundation/AACU Integrated Learning Project Team Member for LaGuardia Community College (2004-2006); Radical Teacher Editorial Board Member (1998-2008); Managing Editor, Radical Teacher (Fall 2001-January 2008); Writing By Degrees, founding member (1997-2000).
Selected Academic Publications:
- Blogging at AAC&U's 2015 Centennial Meeting:
- "A High-Stakes Essay Says Nothing About a Student’s Writing Ability" in "Room for Debate." The New York Times. 10 March 2014. Online.
- "Measuring Progress with Student ePortfolios," co-authored with Bret Eynon. Peer Review, 13.4./14.1 (2011/2012).
- "Effective Pedagogy" in General Education and Liberal Learning: Principles of Effective Practice by Paul L. Gaston. Washington, D.C.: AAC&U, 2010.
- "The Digital Imperative," Computers and Composition 27.1 (2010).
- "ePortfolios @ 2.0: Surveying the Field," co-authored with Bret Eynon. Peer Review, 11.1 (2009).
- "New Worlds of Error and Expectation: Basic Writers and Digital Assumptions," co-authored with Marisa A. Klages. Journal of Basic Writing. 28.1 (2009). Also reprinted in Teaching Developmental Writing, 4e, ed. Susan Naomi Bernstein (Bedford/St. Martin’s, 2013).
- "Policing, Politicizing, Poeticizing the Virgin/Whore Split: Contemporary American Women’s Poetry about AIDS," Ill-uminating Gender II: Gender and Disease, a special issue of Gender Forum: An Internet Platform for Gender and Women's Studies, Ed. Beate Neumeier, 19 (2007).
- "The Bartlet Administration and Contemporary Populism in NBC’s The West Wing,” The Contemporary Television Series. Ed. Michael Hammond and Lucy Mazdon. Edinburgh: Edinburgh UP, 2005.
- "Making Connections: Integrated Learning, Integrated Lives," co-authored with Paul Arcario and Bret Eynon, Peer Review, 7.4 (2005).
- “(In/Out)side AIDS Activism: Searching for a Critically Engaged Politics,” Journal of Medical Humanities, 25.4 (Winter 2004).
- “Interview with Rachel Hadas” and “Interview with Tory Dent,” the minnesota review (Fall 2002).
- “Women’s Studies on the Sly,” Women’s Studies Quarterly, co-authored with Katie Hogan (Fall/ Winter 2002).
Selected Poetry Publications:
- "Burrowing," The Potomac, (2009).
- "Mad Anna" and "What Kind of Poem Is This?" published under the umbrella title "Longing," Ars Medica, 3.2 (2007)
- "Subway Analogies," WOMB, 1.1 (2007).
- "Fairy Tales" and "Day's Break," The Paterson Literary Review, 33 (2004).
- "Resident's Notes: Chief Complaint--1 a.m." Poets Against the War Website, Featured "Poem of the Day" on 21 March 2003.
- "Testing for Birthdays," The Santa Clara Review (Spring 2003).
- "Two Photographs" and "Dress Rehearsal" New Writer (May/June 2002).
- "What is Owed" Curbside Review (Fall 2001).
- "A Love Poem" Edgz (Winter/Spring 2001).
- "Dream Slut" and "Pen Pals" New Writer (Fall 2000).
- "Emily Chooses A Wife," "Chanting Exhaustion," "La Curandera," and "El Agua," RiverSedge (Spring 1999).
- "A Garden in His Mind, His Hands," The Comstock Review (Spring 1998).
- "On Wednesday I Spoke of Mary" A&U: America's AIDS Magazine (August 1997).
- Summer Institute Faculty, "Institute on Project-Based Learning" at Worcester Polytechnic Institute (June 2016, June 2017).
- "The Future of Liberal Education in the New Learning Ecosystem," featured session with Randy Bass, José Antonio Bowen, and Gardner Campbell, American Association of Colleges and University's Centennial Meeting (23 January 2015).
- "The Future of Basic Writing II" with Heidi Johnson. Online YouTube Video of a talk for at the CUNY Graduate Center for Comp Comm Committee, (May 2014).
- My thanks to Sean Malloy, producer, director and editor and his co-producers Robert Greco and Andrew Lucchesi!
- "Digital Yesterdays, Digital Tomorrows: The Social Life of Information and the Shape of Writing Instruction," CUNY Mina Shaughnessy Lecture with Kathleen Blake Yancey (6 December 2013).
- "There's Nothing Basic About Basic Writing," interactive on-line and in-person conversation and presentation via Adobe Connect, Facebook, and Twitter with Elaine Jolayemi, Leigh Jonaitis, Ilene Rubenstein, Debra Berry, Maria Klages, Carla Maroudas, and Amy Edwards Patterson. This presentation featured month of pre-conference on-line discussion on key topics in basic writing, followed by the conference presentation. College Composition and Communication Conference, Las Vegas, NV (14 March 2013).
- "Facebooking the Classroom? Digital Media Strategies To Enhance Writing," preconference workshop with Kathleen Blake Yancey, AAC&U General Education and Assessment Meeting, Boston, MA (February 2013).
- "There's Nothing Basic About Basic Writing," interactive on-line and in-person conversation and presentation via Adobe Connect, Facebook, and Twitter with Elaine Jolayemi, Carla Maroudas, Ilene Rubenstein, Amy Edwards Patterson, J. Elizabeth Clark, Leigh Jonaitis, Marisa Klages, Debra Berry, Kelly Keane and Shelley Rodrigo. This presentation featured month of pre-conference on-line discussion on key topics in basic writing, followed by the conference presentation. College Composition and Communication Conference, Saint Louis, MO (24 March 2012).
- "ePortfolios from the Ground Up: Planning, Creating, Implementing," half-day preconference workshop with Bret Eynon, American Association of Colleges and University's Annual Meeting, Washington, DC (25 January 2012).
- “The Fragile Dream: ePortfolio, At-Risk Students, and College Success,” Keynote Address (luncheon), American Association of Colleges and University's ePortfolio Forum, San Francisco, CA (29 January 2011).
- “Ten Years Later: ePortfolio and Assessment. Learning, Changing, and Closing the Feedback Loop” with Marisa A. Klages. IUPUI 2010 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis, IN (24-26 October 2010).
- "Technology and The Academic Zeitgeist: Te(ch)-ing in the Two Year College and Beyond," a full day preconference workshop with Carlos A. Hernandez and Marisa A. Klages at the College Composition and Communication Conference, Louisville, KY (17-20 March 2010).
- "Make It Real: Learning, Assessment & ePortfolio at an Urban Community College," Keynote with Bret Eynon at the American Association of Colleges and University's ePortfolio Symposium--The Search for VALUE: Innovation, Economic Uncertainty, and ePortfolio Assessment, Washington, DC (20 January 2010).
- "Assessment, in a Word, is Good: Taking the Next Steps in Student-Centered Assessment," Keynote Address, Basic Skills Conference, Fresno City College, Fresno, CA (24 April 2009).
- "From Paper to Screen: Are We Still Having This Conversation? Transforming a Writing Program One Classroom at a Time," College Composition and Communication Conference, San Francisco, CA (11-14 March 2009).
- "Rhetoric in the 21st Century: The Digital Imperative," The International Conference on Teaching and Learning, Jacksonville, Florida (14-18 April 2008).
- "Reclaiming the Classroom: Two Year Colleges and Innovative Self-Assessment" with Professor Marisa Klages, Professor Linda Chandler, and Dr. Michelle Pacht at the College Composition and Communication Conference, New Orleans, LA (3-5 April 2008).
- "First-Year Academies: Facilitating Engagement and Success in the First Year of College," 2007 Bellwether Award Winning Presentation with Vice-President Peter Katopes, Dean Paul Arcario and Assistant Dean Bret Eynon at the 2007 Community College Futures Assembly, Orlando, Florida (28-30 January 2007).
- "Building an ePortfolio Program," a day-long workshop with Assistant Dean Bret Eynon, Vice-Provost Terrel Rhodes, San Mateo Community College (19 July 2006).
- “Electronic Portfolios, Writing Classrooms, and College Programs: Practices, Theories, Issues, and Challenges,” with Dr. Michael Day, and Dr. Kathleen Blake Yancey as Co-Leaders of the 2006 WPA Assessment Institute, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (13 July 2006).
- "No Metaphors, No “Happening Adjectives,” No New Line Breaks: Black Milk and Tory Dent’s Oppositional Witness," CUNY Conference on Contemporary Poetry, New York, New York (3-6 November 2005).
- "The Second Space: Allende, Valenzuela, and Negotiating Home," Vernacular: The International Colloquium for Vernacular, Hispanic and Folkloric Studies, Puebla, Mexico (25-29 October 2005).
- "Citizen Cancer: "Nationless" Women in a Sick World," 2005 Women & Society Conference, Marist College, Poughkeepsie, New York (23-24 September 2005).